Saturday, May 9, 2009

Get sauced at Roy's!



Today was the day -- WenDee's first visit to Roy's BBQ. Roy's is about 10 blocks west of Main in Hutchinson. It's always a good sign when a BBQ joint does not look like a regular restaurant.

And, if you know anything about Roy's you know you should go early. The ditch across the highway shows permanent signs of being a regular parking area.



There isn't a lot of seating space in the three rooms, though the red table can handle lots of people that don't know each other. But it's a fun place with signs all over the walls. Though lots of people do carry-out, it's fun to hang out as long as you can at Roy's.



But, oh my, the experience starts out in fantastic fashion -- and all because of Anne. Anne Armstrong is behind the counter to greet you and to spread good cheer. She is the ultimate front-liner. She seems to genuinely love what she does and before you know it you're a Roy's fan, too, and you haven't even had your first bite. (If we could clone Anne that would be a really good thing).


I ordered beef brisket with baked beans but Anne gently swayed me to get the toast, too, and I'm sure glad I did! It melts in your mouth but if you use it to soak up the bbq sauce and the baked bean juice you'll get an extra succulent bite. WenDee ordered the pulled pork and it was super, too.



End result. We got sauced at Roy's and are glad we did! Can't wait to go back!

It's open Tuesday-Saturday 11 a.m.-3 p.m., or until the food is gone. Go early!

To "Get Kansas!" a person should just do a food tour of the state to meet people like Anne and her customers, find great food, and get the feel of so many charismatic places.

KE #2 Marci Penner

3 comments:

Larry Hornbaker, KE 2013 said...

Welcome to Roy's WenDee! Sure wished I lived closer so I could be there every week. I completely agree about Anne - she's a gem. I still consider Roy's turkey dinner my favorite meal (see my post on April 19, 2009

Spidergrandma said...

Okay, cloning Anne would just make for two too many wacky women in Hutch. They broke the mold. . . wait, SHE's not moldy, or wait, maybe she's just sauced before they open the doors. Love ya, Anne!

Get Kansas! said...

I was just reminded that the original owner of Roy's was the father of Elk Falls Pottery's Steve Fry!