Sunday, January 11, 2009

Speaking your mind




Thanks to one of our ace Explorers Keith Stokes, KE #4392, the rest of us can get a glimpse of Truckhenge. Located near Topeka, farm owner Ross Lessman has turned to grassroots art to show his displeasure with bureaucrats. But the result has entertainment value, too.
Go to Keith's web site to see more pictures but call 785.234.3486 if you want to tour Truckhenge.
Roadside America also shares their slant on Ross's sculptured mix of political messages.
M.T. in the west, Ross in the east. Is that balance?
Boring, dull? Hardly so. You'll only "Get Kansas!" by knowing our many personalities.
KE #2 Marci Penner

2 comments:

Connie - KE #81 said...

That is a place I hadn't heard of. Now it's on my "must see" list. Thanks for sharing Keith.

Connie Dougherty

Anonymous said...

My pleasure, Connie. Thank you for mentioning it, Marcie.

As I have met self taught artists around the state, every experience has been positive. The people behind these environments have always been even more interesting than the art.

In this case, I didn't just get to meet Ron and his wife when I toured Truckhenge, but I has since had occasional correspondences with his son, Thomas, who is interesting in his own right and is active in the Topeka community.

Keith