Saturday, September 6, 2008

A State Worth Loving

Do Kansans have an inferiority complex? Do we think we don't have much to offer? Have you ever heard someone say that small towns aren't worth saving? Here's a short story for you.

Kansas Explorer Club member "B" is from a big city. He has shown up at group Explorer activities in places like Osborne County, Leoti, Marquette, and Stark. He'll either bring his Dad, wife, sister, kids, or some combination. And lately he's been searching for out-of-the-way places to visit. Explorer blood is obviously starting to run through his veins.

When I researched for the Kansas guidebook by going to every city (627) in the state, my affection grew the more I knew the state. Some would say that's just a feel good statement. I think it's much more. Good feeling turns into belief which turns into action. Belief and action for rural communities creates opportunities -- which creates sustainability.

So when I got an e-mail yesterday from Explorer B I just wanted to melt. He said, "The more of Kansas that I see, the more I love it."

I guess that's why I hope everyone learns how to explore, either through our club's mindset or their own. This is a state worth loving and all we have to do to get to that point, is just get to know it.

No comments: